The SideWinder Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coldstreamer Gallows

+2
big bag
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Coldstreamer Gallows Empty Coldstreamer Gallows

Post  Admin Mon May 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I've seen pictures of GY.10 Coldstreamer with square-shaped port side gallows (see photo below) and often wondered why she was fitted thusly. Was it to do with Pelagic fishing or something? I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.

Coldstreamer Gallows Coldstreamer

Admin
Admin

https://myadvisor.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Coldstreamer Gallows Empty Coldstreamer

Post  big bag Thu May 29, 2008 6:10 pm

When was the picture taken of the Colstreamer, I wasmate of her in 72/73 with Bill Saite, she didn't have square gallows then.

big bag

Back to top Go down

Coldstreamer Gallows Empty Coldstreamer Gallows frame.

Post  davetodd Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am

A similar photograph appeared on the website of Ships Nostalgia a few weeks ago.
Several comments were made but the conclusion was that in 1963 the Coldstreamer and Royal Lincs carried out fishing trials with a prototype trawl designed by the White Fish Authority.
Large trawl doors were part of this prototype and the Coldstreamer was chosen to carry the doors for both vessels.
The ships were required to fish together in the Barents Sea and to change trawls one for another to assess results of both trawls in the same area at the same time.
Prior to this trip the Ernest Holt and the Explorer (Scottish Fisheries) had carried out preliminary testing before the prototype trawl was produced.
A report on the begining of this venture appeared in the Grimsby Evening Telegraph in January 1963.
Sorry, but I don't yet know what the outcome was.
Regards
Dave

davetodd

Back to top Go down

Coldstreamer Gallows Empty Re: Coldstreamer Gallows

Post  crowfoot Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm

the port side was dead mans aleay i went one trip with smithe in 67/8? and got cort port side when she shiped a big one

steve

crowfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnnyfreebooter Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 am

You lived to tell the tale though Steve..."dead mans alley?"...she was a fine and good "sea ship"...I was there with "big bag all hands mag...bugger!!!"

Johnny

Johnnyfreebooter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Evans Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:26 pm

In the Coldstreamer with Bill Ferrons jn....also Colin Spall....65/66..actually shipped in the Black Watch twice...Jimmy Nunn...and Meechy......Nth Eagle with the Beast....best class of ships I ever shipped in.....and made big bucks in them all...

John Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum